I know, I know, pork roasts aren’t on sale at Publix anymore. However, I did go shopping last night and buy one before the sale was over. Plus, I know all of you saw what a great deal 1.99/lb pork tenderloin was and more than likely have one in your fridge or freezer. If not, keep this one on hand for when it is back on sale!
So, here is the deal, we are going to turn that roast into 2 recipes! I will post the first today, and the second one tomorrow. Both are perfect for this hot and humid weather we have been having! You won’t have to heat up your kitchen too much!
Oh, and you will need your crock pot again for this first one. I am not a huge crock pot cooker so it is just a coincidence that my old trusty crockpot has popped up in the first couple posts. It is a handy tool for the summer. You can just fill it up and come back to it in the evening without spending all day in the kitchen.
Quick and Easy Cuban Style Pork Roast
- 1 Pork Tenderloin 3-4 lbs
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 TBSP minced Garlic
- 1 small Sweet Onion
- 1/2 Bell Pepper
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 TBSP Garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- small orange (optional)
In a bowl mix juices, Garlic, Oregano, Olive oil, Garlic salt, & pepper.
Place pork into crockpot.
Use a sharp knife to stab a few holes in the top of roast to let marinade go in.
Pour Juice mix over roast.
Chop up Onion, bell pepper, and orange and throw them in the crock pot.
Serve with yellow rice, peas, Cuban bread, and a side salad for a great summer time meal.
Don’t forget to save half of cooked pork roast for tomorrows recipe!
- When bell peppers are on sale I buy a couple extra. I wash and cut them in to strips and place them in a freezer bag in my freezer. That way they are on hand for use in recipes!
- I purchase Vigo Yellow Rice mix. It comes in a yellow bag and is sold on the isle with the rice and dry beans. It is only about $1 at Publix which makes for a delicious cheap side dish.
- A minute or 2 before rice is complete I stir in the frozen peas. The peas will finish cooking with the rice and it will make a colorful presentation!
Sale Breakdown Shopping List
- Pork Tenderloin $1.99/lb—3 lb = $5.97
- Tropicana Orange Juice or Ruby Red Grapefruit, Assorted Varieties, 100% Pure, Not from Concentrate, 64-oz 2/$6 -$.50/1; $1/2 tearpad -$1/2 from 05-03-09 RP
- Publix Lemon Juice $1.29
- Bertolli Olive Oil, Extra Light or Classico, 17-oz bot BOGO $5.99
- Bell Pepper
- Publix Salad Blend, Spring Mix, American, European, Italian, Hearts of Romaine, or Caesar Salad Kit, 5 to 12-oz bag 2/$4
- Vigo Yellow Rice $0.99
- Cuban Bread $1.29
- -$3/$10 Deli Bakery FLIP PRINT (If you are buying extra goodies in bakery)
Grand Total for Meal (assuming you have the spices)
$1.29 Lemon Juice
$5.99 2 olive oil
$0.75 Bell Pepper
$1.50 Frozen Peas
$22.28 divided by 4 = $5.57 a person!
While you are at the store, here is the shopping list for tomorrow!
- Loaf of cuban bread (french bread will do)
- Mustard (you should have this)
- Mayo (again look in the fridge)
- Sandwich Pickles
- Swiss Cheese
- Deli Ham