Black-Friday-Secrets
How-to-Clean-Your-Dishwasher
DOUBLE-CHOCOLATE-BANANA-BREAD
Raspberry-Oatmeal-Muffins

DIY Larabars

013

There comes a time when you start to question why certain items are so pricey.  We are a 80% Gluten Free Family.  The 20% that won’t give in is my Hubby, and frankly I don’t blame him.  I still sneak a bite occasionally and live to regret it.  Anyway,  I love Larabars for breakfast.  They are great for after a workout too.  They are gluten free and so expensive!  A box of 5 is $5.25 at Target.  That adds up quick when you have 4 people eating on them.

Back to School is around the corner and I needed a lower cost breakfast bar option fast.  Now, we love my homemade granola bars.  They are to die for too, but I am on a larabar kick, Cashew Cookie to be specific.  So, I flipped the box around and read the ingredients; Cashews & Dates.   ~Seriously~  That is it! And they cost and arm and a leg because???

So I busted out my food processor and made my own, and do you know what?!  They are so good and identical, if not better than the larabars.  If you do not like Cashew Cookie, but like another type, I suggest flipping the box around and checking the ingredients.  There are only a couple in each variety of Larabar, and very easy to figure out at home!

5.0 from 3 reviews
Cashew Larabars

Prep time
Total time

Make your own Gluten Free breakfast bars super fast, and super affordable
Author:
Recipe type: breakfast, snack
Serves: 20
Ingredients
  • 16 oz of Dates (whole or chopped)
  • 3 cups of unsalted cashews
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Place the cashews in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
  2. Add the dates and vanilla, and resume processing until it all comes together in a dough.
  3. Press into a foil lined 11x7 Pan, and place in the fridge to cool and harden.
  4. Cut into 1 inch by 3 inch bars.
  5. Makes about 20.

Now as for cost.. 20 bars would cost you $21 retail. The ingredients for these 20 bars cost me….

Total= $8.57! or $0.43 a bar!

While these still aren’t super cheap..it is much better than paying retail!

Comments

1. kimme says

Wow that sounds so simple and delicious! We are totally going to try this as we LOVE Larabars but rarely ever buy them due to theIR price. I love that this is way budget-friendlier :) Thanks a bunch!!

2. kimme says

3. Lisa P says

Have you ever tried breaking down any of the other larabar flavors? Like apple pie or banana nut bread? Just curious, thanks!

4. Lisa P says

5. sarah says

there is a recipe for cherry pie somewhere on the web. i made them a couple of years ago. they were good, but the recipe was too big / we didn’t eat them fast enough, which negates the savings.

6. sarah says

7. Shelley says

Yum. I made these last night. Even my 5 and 2 year old children liked them this morning for breakfast. I may use less cashews next time as my mixture seemed a little on the dry side and crumbly. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Shelley says

9. Sara Anders says

Have not heard of these as we are not a GF family, but they sound really good. May try some as I’m always on the look out for something to grab and go for my hour long commute to work in the morning.

10. heather says

made them but didn’t have enough dates but they taste good so far. I will have to buy more dates tomorrow and hopefully I can get them to form into bars.