So I was on pinterest the other day and saw some caramel apple donuts. I was hooked just by the picture. My mom bought me a donut pan for my birthday and it has been sitting in the cabinet just waiting for the perfect recipe. This was it.
Tonight I hit the kitchen and began to whip up what I thought was going to be a mind blowing breakfast. Unfortunately the best made plans sometimes fail, and this was one of those times. The donuts fell apart; just crumbled right out of the pan.
Since my kitchen was already a mess and had apples everywhere. I hit the drawing board. I started experimenting. Why not dirty a couple more dishes? I came up with this delicious caramel apple cake that is moist, dense, and absolutely full of fall flavors.
- 1½ cups Flour (or gluten free flour mix)
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shredded fresh apples
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- OR use Caramel Ice Cream topping
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease and flour 9×9 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl wisk eggs and brown sugar together.
- Stir in vanilla and vegetable oil.
- Mix egg mixture into flour mixture until batter forms.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded apples (peeled or peel on is fine)
- Pour batter into 9×9 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees f for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Pour caramel sauce over the cake. Cut and serve.
- In a small saucepan wisk together apple cider and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until caramel thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before you pour over the cake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Measure flour, Baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
In another bowl wisk together eggs & sugar. Then mix in vanilla and oil.
Mix egg mixture into flour mixture until well blended.
Stir in 1 cup of shredded apples.
Your dough will look like this.
Spread batter into 9×9 square pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick poked into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Heat some caramel ice cream topping for the caramel sauce OR…in a small sauce pan Wisk together 1/2 cup apple cider and 1 cup packed brown sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
Pour caramel over warm cake. Cut an serve by itself or with ice cream.