I originally posted this recipe as a side dish on Moms With Crockpots the other day. The thing is, I wanted to turn it into a meal. It was so good as a side dish I knew it could be easily transformed into a dinner. I added 2 cups of cooked diced chicken breasts, but you could add 1 lb of cooked ground beef (drained). Either way it turns this crockpot side dish into an amazing crockpot meal.
My crockpot has been such a big time saver for me lately. Between running people to and from school, homework, and the blog I just don’t have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen. If you are like me running in 10 different directions, try this dinner. It is a winner at my house!
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 can (16oz) Whole Tomatoes crushed
- 1 can (15 oz) Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1½ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 3 tsps minced garlic
- 2 cups Grated Monterrey Jack Cheese divided or Cheddar Cheese
- Combine chicken, tomatoes, beans, rice, onion, cottage cheese, chilies, oil, garlic, and 2 cup chees in slow cooker, mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on low 6-9 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with remaining cheese before serving.