Every once in a while I get an urge. The urge to take a step back away from kid friendly food and venture in a little gourmet. With Spring on our doorstep, I wanted to make something fresh and exciting and this is it.
I laughed with the kids in the kitchen as they watched me taste it. They asked what I was going to call it and I said “Spinach Bacon OMG!” There are so many different textures and flavors that merry so well together it is like a little party in my mouth. The tang of the lemon juice, the creaminess of the sauce, and the crunch of the bacon make this salad a perfect side dish for any occasion. It really doesn’t even have to be just a side dish. I just ate it for dinner. You won’t regret making this recipe!
- 16 oz macaroni or pene pasta cooked al dente
- 6-8 oz fresh spinach
- ½ lb bacon chopped
- 3 green onions chopped (about ½ cup)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup Philadelphia cooking creme (lemon herb flavor) or light Cesar dressing
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or asiago cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet brown bacon until crisp.
- Add green onions and spinach leaves to the skillet and heat until wilted. Add lemon zest and juice.
- In a large bowl mix cooked pasta, bacon mix, and cooking creme until well blended.
- Stir in cheese and serve warm.
Brown bacon in large skillet over medium heat.
Add spinach and green onions until wilted down.
Add lemon zest and juice.
In a large bowl mix pasta, bacon mix, and cooking creme. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve!