I love patriotic holidays! I just told my husband the other day that I wish my son liked red, white and blue as much as I do. I so want to decorate his room with an Americana them. He, on the other hand, loves the jungle. ~sigh~ Oh well, I can still decorate for holidays!
I wanted to make cake for this weekend, and cupcakes are perfect for portion control! I wanted to do something a little different than usual and I found this Jello Frosting recipe on Happier than a pig in Mud (I love that blog name!) So, These cupcakes are made with jello in the cake and in the frosting to give them their awesome color. The kids love these to pieces…I think I have been sworn to make different flavors for every different occasion they can think of.
- White Cake Mix (prepared according to package)
- 1 3oz Box Jello (You choose Flavor)
- 1 3oz Box Jello (You Choose Flavor)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Prepare White Cake Mix according to package.
- Separate batter into two equal bowls.
- Mix ½ of the 3oz box of jello into one of the bowls. (if you wanted to flavor the entire cake then you would use a full box.)
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup with ⅓ white cake mix batter and ⅓ flavored cake mix batter.
- Bake according to package.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Place the above ingredients except for the Boiling water, in a large GLASS OR METAL mixing bowl (OF A STAND MIXER).
- Turn the mixer on high just as you can, then add ½ cup of boiling water. Whip on high for 5-7 minutes until stiff peeks are formed.
- Makes enough frosting for 24 cupcakes
- Best eaten day it is made.
Gather you ingredients, I had one boxed cake mix left that I wanted to use, but you can use this homemade cake mix recipe too! You can even use a gluten free mix.
Mix the cake batter according to the package in a large bowl. Separate it in half into two bowl. Leave one bowl of batter plain and in the other mix 1/2 (small box of jello). Only 1/2 anymore will make the batter too heavy. If you wanted to flavor an entire cake then you could use the whole box.
Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with plain cake batter.
Fill the other 1/3 with jello flavored batter. Bake according to package directions.
Now comes the fun part. You aren’t going to believe this…call the kids to watch. Dump all of the frosting ingredients in the mixer except the boiling water. Turn the mixer on high. Once it is running pour in the boiling water…Stand back and watch in amazement.
Frosting about 3 minutes into mixing.
Frosting when finished. It will have the consistency of cool whip. You will know it is done when it creates stiff peaks.
Now those cupcakes should be coming out of the oven. Allow them to cool completely. If you are impatient (like me) you can take some help from the fridge or freezer.
Pipe on that great Jello Frosting, Sprinkles and serve!
This frosting is best eaten the day it is made. I think you can handle that