Thanksgiving will be here in a blink of an eye, and I am busy! Busy is the best way I can describe myself this week. I am busy with the kids, busy making holiday checklists, busy buying groceries, and busy working on the blog. Busy is also the way I will describe my oven Thursday. However, it now has one less item that will be fighting for space: My dressing.
It dawned on me the other day while I was writing down all the things I was going to make and the groceries I needed that I could make my dressing in the crockpot. That would free up 30 minutes of precious oven time for my homemade bread rolls! SCORE! Oh how I long to have a double oven some day. LOL
I did a test run today and made a batch of corn bread for the dressing, turned around and found my hubby and kids had devoured it with the local honey I just bought yesterday. Hmmm… ok, so I made a second batch of corn bread and stood guard this time. I diced it up and tossed it with the other ingredients in my crockpot. 4 Hours later, perfection. Plus, it is gluten free and dairy free. I also made it way better by throwing in some Way Better Sweet Potato Chips. Let me tell you what, I think they are going to be my secret ingredient from now on because it tastes amazing! Check out how easy this is …
P.S. In case you didn’t know, I also run www.MomsWithCrockpots.com.
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups dry Corn bread cubes
- ½ Cup Way Better Sweet Potato Chips (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ - 2 cups chicken broth, or as needed
- 1 eggs, beaten
- Cook onion, celery, and parsley in Olive Oil, stirring frequently.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl.
- Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper.
- Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in egg.
- Transfer mixture to a 4 qt slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.