Every year at Christmas time you can walk through the mall and catch a whiff of something heavenly. The cinnamon sugary perfume is intoxicating and seemingly drawls you into a kiosk with someone roasting nuts and selling them for the holidays. Of course they will give you a free sample, but that is just teasing your taste buds. Right this minute my house smells like that! SERIOUSLY! I am hungry just standing in my kitchen.
We are trying to make as many Christmas gifts as possible this year, and of course we can’t give them away until we have taste tested :). I have made these spiced nuts in the past and the recipe almost always calls for butter and it is always time consuming. So I was intrigued to try this recipe that is dairy free, gluten free, and super simple. Each batch makes 4 cups of nuts. I chose almonds but you could do this with pecans, walnuts or really any type of nut. This is so easy, it is a must make in my opinion. THEY ARE ADDICTIVE. Even my little helper kept sneaking bites.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups nuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg white and vanilla until frothy.
- Pour egg over the nuts and cover thoroughly.
- Cover the nuts with the brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon and spread them out in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until golden. Allow to cool, then store nuts in airtight containers.