This is an exciting week at my house. My Hubby’s Birthday is Sunday and mine is soon to follow on Wednesday. My Hubby isn’t a picky guy. He loves any cake or sweet treat I whip up in the kitchen. I, on the other hand, am a lover of all things Strawberry and Chocolate. When I saw the idea for this pie I about died! It is everything I love in a silky chocolate pie!
I could have totally taken a short cut and used prepackaged Jello Chocolate Pudding/Pie filling, but I didn’t. The homemade chocolate custard only takes a couple minutes to whip up and it is BEYOND WORTH the extra mess made. You will have to trust me on this one. With Strawberries in season, you will want to make this pie and wow everyone.
- 1 Oreo Pie Crust (see recipe below)
- 1 pint strawberries, trimmed and halved
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ounce bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Chocolate wafer cookies (about 30 cookies) or Half a package
- Use a Store bought 9 Inch Oreo Pie Crust or lightly spray a 9-inch pie dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the butter and chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, heat on high for 30 seconds or until just melted. Stir until smooth.
- Finely grind cookies in processor. Add chocolate mixture and process until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture into prepared pie dish.
- Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Arrange strawberry halves in a single layer in the bottom of the crust.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, spices, and salt in heavy medium saucepan to combine.
- Whisk in egg yolks to form thick paste.
- Gradually whisk in milk, then whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla and cool 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Pour filling over strawberries until level with the top edge of the crust. This may not take all of the chocolate custard. If you have extra...enjoy your snack.
- Chill until set, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Top with whipped cream and some fresh berries...maybe a little drizzle of chocolate sauce.
I made my own Oreo Crust. It was super simple, and the food processor makes it so easy.
Once you press it into the pie pan, you are going to top with your strawberries. You can do them in a fancy pattern,but it really won’t matter because you won’t see them through the chocolate filling.
Whip up your chocolate custard. HEAVENLY! Cross your fingers that you made too much. It is soooo good!
Pour the custard over the strawberries after it cools a few minutes. The pop it in the fridge.
The pie itself is so pretty. I almost hated cutting it….almost.
Insert all the ooohs and aaaahs and mmmmms. I will be in a chocolate coma for the next few days.