School starts this week at our house! All 3 kids are heading out into the world and I am a nervous wreck. They are thrilled and excited to make new friends, participate in art club, and get to know their class pets. I wish I had a Turtle Tank in my kindergarten class! I am the textbook over protective mom who would be happy to keep her little birds in the nest 24/7. This week will be hard for me. My hubby is already asking me if I am OK. I am sure I will survive, but I MUST keep busy!
So I am baking, it’s my form of therapy. I thought I would make the kids some special lunch box treats for their big days! I adapted a Blondie recipe I had and made these delicious Celebration Blondies! They are so easy to make and take just a few minutes to whip together.
Quickly whip the simple batter together while your oven preheats to 350 Degrees. PS: These can be made gluten free and dairy free very easily. Check out the recipe for modifications.
Now dump in your mixins. I added the sprinkles to make it like a funfetti cake. I didn’t get quite the result I was looking for. Next time I will sprinkle them on top right before the blondies go into the oven and not mix them directly into the batter.
Next I poured the batter into a foil lined 13×9 pan. This helps for easy cleanup and to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool Cut and Serve! Store in an airtight container until they are gone….it won’t take long.
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten free blend)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup assorted sprinkles
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla just until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to brown sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan and top with sprinkles.
- Bake at 350° for 20-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Use a gluten free flour mix. I personally used ¾ cup corn flour and ¾ cup corn starch as a replacement and it worked great. Also make sure you are using other gluten free ingredients (vanilla, sprinkles, etc)
- Use a dairy free margarine and leave out the white chocolate chips. You can substitute an extra ½ semi sweet chocolate chips to replace. Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips are dairy free.