I am hoping that this post helps someone not go through what we are.
My dogs are sick. Not just upset tummies, but scary sick. It all began early in the week with some vomiting. We just figured they snuck a crayola out of those back to school supplies. I still don’t know why dogs love to eat crayons.
Day 4. Today is day 4 of them not being able to eat, vomiting, upset tummies, and just not acting themselves. They are just laying in their kennels only getting out to potty. We are horribly upset that the thought has even crossed our minds but someone could have poisoned our pets. These dogs are 2 of the most docile sweet animals you ever met. They are with us 24/7 and the only time they are out of sight is in our own yard. They are well behaved and do not bother anyone.
We never would have thought poison …..EVER! After two days of sick dogs we started to really question what was going on. Turns out, those are the two most important days when it comes to any type of poison in an animal. The warning signs that I wish I would have known:
- Their vomit was dark (like the color of kibble)
- they refuse to eat …at all.
- Excessive thirst
- Lethargy (just laying around)
- Dark stool
These are all things that are not normal.
One item that my medicine cabinet will not go without after this ordeal: activated charcoal. It is safe for people and pets. If taken within hours of ingestion of a toxin it can help filter the toxin out of the system. I found some capsules at CVS and I have been giving them to the dogs on top of the other medication. It seems to be helping.
I am hoping my dogs are on the mend, but it is just a waiting game at this point. The vet has given me some medication for them, and my job is to keep them hydrated (easier said than done). We are just loving them and hoping that they bounce back to their usual happy selves.