THESE ARE EPIC!!! Sorry to bust out in all caps right off the bat, but y’all don’t understand. These Stuffed French Toast Muffins are out of this world amazing. The amazing that makes you go back for more….
And then wish you baked them more often….
So that then bake some fresh french bread so that you can make them again tomorrow….
And you are going to need to make a pan for everyone else, cause the first pan is yours….
*Note to self, look into a gym membership. 🙂
Seriously, if you love french toast, you have to make these Stuffed French Toast Muffins at least once in your life. I took my classic French Toast Casserole recipe that I make every year at Christmas and thought I would make it perfect for back to school by making in muffin tins.
Then, why stop there. I added cream cheese and some blackberries. My hubby says cause I am awesome like that. LOL, I am pretty sure that I have created a monster. French toast casserole that is perfect for any day of the week. I am not certain I can ever go back to a full french toast casserole again.
I can divide the muffin pan and make some gluten free, some with filling, some without, use different fruits, the possibilities are endless. And I only have to bake them once! LOVE!
In a large bowl, I whisked together the eggs, milk, sugar, and a little bit of cinnamon.
Then in a greased muffin tin, fill each spot with diced french bread cubes. Just smash them in there. You aren’t going to hurt anything. Finally, you are going to get a ladle, or a big spoon and start filled each cup with the egg/milk mix. The more you can get in there the better. Smush the bread again, and pour a little more. Cover the entire pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, better overnight.
In the morning, mix the cream cheese, egg, and sugar until creamy. Spoon about 1 tbsp into the center of each muffin. Shhh…you can put as much as you want. Then top with your choice of fruit. I used frozen blackberries because that is what I had. These would also be fabulous with strawberries, raspberries, even fresh cherries.
Pop them into the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Serve immediately. You can dust with powdered sugar if you want, but they are AMAZING just the way they are.
Stuffed French Toast Muffins
- 1 loaf of french bread cut into cubes (about 12 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese (softened)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Your choice of fruit
- Grease a muffin pan, and fill each cup with bread cubes.
- IN a large bowl beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Spoon or ladle the egg mix over the bread cubes. Push down the bread cubes and add more if necessary. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove pan from refrigerator.
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese, egg, and sugar until creamy. Spoon 1 tbsp of cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin. Top with fruit.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Use a milk alternative such as almond milk, coconut milk, etc. Eliminate the cream cheese or replace with dairy free cream cheese (tofuti makes a good one)
- Use a gluten free bread to replace the french bread