A good doughnut recipe is like a little black dress….EVERY woman needs one. This Easy Vanilla Cake Doughnuts Recipe is a must have. So easy and delicious. You have to bake them and indulge this weekend. YUM!
You will need a doughnut pan, which are super affordable. I use mine much more than I ever thought I would! When I first bought it I was really concerned about getting the doughnuts out of the pan in one piece. Do you know I have never had a problem! Just yummy doughnuts!
PS: If you don’t have vanilla beans on hand, don’t worry. These are still great with just vanilla extract.
- 2⅔ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (or margarine)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Softened butter, for tins
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch salt
- 2 - 3 Tbsp milk
- Food coloring and sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease your doughnut pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, blend together melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla bean seeds until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Blend in eggs one at a time then mix in vanilla extract. Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, add ⅓ of the flour mixture alternating with half of the milk and mix just until combined after each addition.
- Spoon batter into buttered doughnut wells, filling them about ¼-inch from the rim. Bake in preheated oven 7 - 8 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool until lukewarm then dip in glaze and return to wire rack, immediately top with sprinkles if using and allow glaze to set at room temperature.
- In a flat bottomed bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla and salt then stir in 2 Tbsp of milk, adding additional milk 1 tsp at a time to reach desired consistency and whisk until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired.
- Warm in microwave in 6 - 10 second intervals on HIGH power to warm as it begins to set while dipping doughnuts, as needed, whisking after heating.
- Substitute Dairy Free margarine in place of butter and a dairy free milk of your choice. I prefer almond milk.