This recipe creation & post has been sponsored by Quaker. All opinions are 100% my own.
When Quaker Oats invited me to Chicago for the Quaker Gluten Free Blogger Summit I really had no huge oatmeal expectations. Up to that point I was all about oatmeal for breakfast, and in baking but my eyes were opened to savory oatmeal! I guess I had never thought about combining oatmeal in savory dishes and meals.
Quaker asked me to come up with a recipe using their new Quaker Gluten Free Quick 1-Minute Oats. I came home and started experimenting right away! After adding a few of my favorite ingredients to the pot, I made this Savory Cuban Oatmeal one day for lunch and fell in love!
I pulled out my new Quaker Gluten Free Quick 1-Minute Oats and all of my other ingredients. I used canned black beans this time but you can use left overs if you have made them recently. I love this Crockpot Black Beans recipe.
In a 2 quart or larger sauce pan sauté the peppers, onions, and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Just until the onions are translucent. Takes about 3-5 minutes.
Pour in the Chicken stock, oats, and black beans. Stir. I also added in about a tsp of balsamic vinegar. This adds and authentic flavor to this dish that can’t be beat! It only takes 1 minute until it is ready!
Once the oats are finished, spoon into a bowl and top with some more diced onion. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. This bowl is so full of flavor and incredibly filling. It is the perfect gluten free lunch! Plus it gets bonus points for being meat free too! It is a great way to fuel your day whether this is lunch or a quick dinner!
- 1 Cup Quaker Gluten Free Quick 1-Minute Oats
- 1¾ Cup Chicken Stock or Broth
- ¼ diced green pepper
- ½ cup diced onion, divided
- 1 cup of canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- In a 2 quart or larger sauce pan sauté green pepper, ¼ cup of onion, and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Pour in the chicken stock, vinegar, beans, and oats. Stir. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with additional diced onions as desired.
You can learn more about Quaker’s Gluten Free Oats and the process behind them in my post about the Quaker Gluten Free Blogger’s Summit!
Plus download this FREE Oatmeal Recipe Booklet with tasty recipes from the other Quaker Gluten Free Recipe Bloggers.
Quaker is providing one A Few Short Cuts reader with a wonderful Quaker Gluten Free Recipe Inspiration Kit (Valued at approximately $60)! It will include…
- A Chic tote bag, perfect for grocery shopping
- A Custom “Love Oatmeal” Spoon
- An apron to wear while making your own Oat-inspired dishes
- The perfect portable microwavable oatmeal bowl
- Quaker Gluten Free Oats (Quaker Quick 1-Minute Standard Oats – 18 oz Canister, Quaker Instant Gluten Free Oatmeal in both Original & Maple Brown Sugar Flavors)
Quaker is providing the prizes of this program at no cost to me. This program is not administered by Quaker or its affiliates, but solely by A Few Short Cuts.
How to Enter
Leave a comment on this post telling me what unique oatmeal mix-ins you would like to try!
Giveaway will end January 15th at 11:59 pm est. Winner will be notified via email.