There is only one way to make cinnamon rolls even better! Add apples! Try this Apple Cinnamon Rolls Recipe. The perfect fall breakfast!
So I found apples on sale at Aldi last week. I may or may not have bought my weight in apples because they were so cheap, fresh, and I LOVE apples this time of year. Now I am facing the consequences of my actions and trying to find some tasty ways to use up my apples instead of just eating them the way they are (which I do…and love!). These Apple Cinnamon Rolls are a perfect way to use a couple of apples, and the flavors are oh so perfect together.
I made a batch of cinnamon rolls dough and rolled it out. I filled them with cinnamon sugar and bits of diced granny smith apples. I rolled them tightly and placed them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. After years of greasing pans, I have learned this is by far the easiest cleanup method. I may or may not have sprinkled a little extra brown sugar in the bottom of the pan to add some sticky to my buns. 😉
I baked them at 375 for 30 minutes until they looked like this. All nice and golden brown.
After they cooled a little, I drizzled them with some cinnamon sugar glaze. Can you say, “Perfection”? They are almost too pretty to eat. Well….Almost.
Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup margarine or butter, softened
- 3¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) package of instant yeast - 2 tsps
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 1/2 cup melted butter,
- 3/4 cup sugar,
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup diced granny smith apples
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 - 2 Tbsp milk
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until warm. Mix in the butter until melted. Let cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl combine 2¼ cup flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in egg and ¼ cup of water. Mix well. Now stir in the milk mixture until dough forms.
- Stir in another cup of flour. When dough comes together flip onto a lightly floured surface and need until smooth.
- Return the dough ball to the bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a 15x10 inch rectangle.
- Brush the dough with melted butter. Mix the cinnamon & sugar together and sprinkle liberally all over the dough. Then evenly sprinkle the diced apples over the cinnamon.
- Roll up the dough and pinch the seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal size rolls.
- Place rolls cut side up in a greased or parchment 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled (30 mins). While waiting preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- When cooled drizzle with the glaze.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp milk. Add more milk until glaze is at desired consistency.
- Substitute almond milk, coconut milk, etc., and a dairy free margarine.
You can split the dough in half and divide it among two round 8 or 9 inch pans. You can then freeze half to bake another day. Wrap tightly to freeze and defrost before baking. Keeps in freezer for up to 2 months.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.
If you love cinnamon rolls, you are going to love these….