There are things that are necessary in life like air, water, and doughnuts! I mean, aren’t doughnuts a food group? LOL Just joking, but doughnuts are a fun treat for breakfast or dessert from time to time. With fall breezing in, these Apple Spice Doughnuts are just what the scarecrow ordered!
Did I mention these are really simple to make? The key is having a doughnut pan. If you don’t, you should! I love mine to pieces!
It is as simple as mixing up the batter, and squirting it into the pan. Now, if you don’t have a bag to pipe it in with I have successfully done it with a spoon too! Only fill them about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full because they will rise!
How gorgeous are those bad boys, and the smell is everything you dream of fall being! YUM!
Apple Spice Doughnuts
- 1 box of spice cake mix, any brand
- 1 1/2 C. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 2 tbs. cinnamon
- non-stick cooking spray
- large Ziploc-type bag
- kitchen scissors
- donut pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the spice cake mix, applesauce and pumpkin pie spice, mixing well.
- Open the Ziploc-type bag and scoop the mixture into the bag. Seal the bag shut and snip the end with the kitchen scissors.
- Gently squeeze the donut mixture out of the bag and into the donut wells (see photo).
- Bake 11-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Combine the 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tbs of cinnamon to make the cinnamon and sugar topping.
- Once the donuts have cooled roll them in the cinnamon and sugar and serve.
- *Makes approximately 12 donuts.