The way I see it, I could go spill all my feelings to a therapist for hours on end, or just hit the kitchen for an old fashioned baking session. There is something soothing about whipping up some of your al time favorites. I tried to be a little bit healthier in my choice this weekend and I made this Blueberry Coconut Baked Oatmeal. It seriously disappeared from the kitchen in less time than it took it to bake.
I gathered and remeasured all of my ingredients. This is something I never did until I started blogging, but you know what?! It really does make things easier. Plus, I feel like I am on food network or something with everything magically there in front of me as I go on. 😉
Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix them together.
Now add the wet ingredients. Keep the blueberries on the side. We will add those in a minute. Stir together the oatmeal.
Now take a 8×8 or 9×9 pan and line it with parchment paper. Put half of the blueberries in the bottom. I am obviously using frozen, but you can use fresh too.
Pour in the oatmeal batter, then top with the remaining blueberries. Pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes! YUM!
Not only are the smells intoxicating, but it is so pretty when it comes out. Now….you can eat this 1 of 3 ways. Hot right out of the oven. Just scoop it in a bowl. Let it cool completely and cut it into bars. (One of my favs). Or take one of those cooled bars and heat it in a bowl with a little milk. All really tasty. All a great way to enjoy this Blueberry Coconut Baked Oatmeal.
Blueberry Coconut Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients; oats, coconut, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla. The coconut oil might get a little lumpy, but that is ok. It will melt when baking.
- Add the milk mix to the oats and stir well.
- Arrange half of the blueberries on the bottom of the parchment lined baking dish. Pour the oat batter evenly over the berries. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top of the oats.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and oatmeal is set. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
- Use gluten free oats
- Use a diary free milk substitute. Coconut milk is a great option for this recipe