This is that busy time of year where I am squeezing every minute out of every day! End of the school year field day, parties, testing, sports, homework….I am pretty sure the list goes on and on. I will be so glad when school is out and summer is here! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade….OR this super easy Lemon Icebox Pie!
This really is super simple! You just need Lemon Jello, a lemon, cool whip, and a graham cracker crust. 9 times out of 10, I can dig that stuff up out of my pantry and fridge.
Next you are going to prepare the filling. You are basically making the gelatin and folding in the cool whip. The lemon zest adds a great lemony kick. I like to add a little of the lemon juice to mine too.
The hardest part is being patient enough for this to set up in the fridge. It takes about 4 hours. It is great to make in the morning and stick in the fridge for that night. Everyone loves a fun surprise for after dinner!
Lemon Icebox Pie
- 1 8oz. Tub of Cool Whip
- 2/3 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Cup Ice Cold Water
- 1 3 oz. Pkg. Lemon flavored gelatin
- 1 Ready made Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 Lemon’s Zest, divided ¾, ¼.
- In a measuring cup add ¾ cup of water and then enough ice to make it 1 cup.
- Put the Lemon Gelatin Powder into a large bowl.
- In a small pot bring the 2/3 cup of water to a boil.
- Once boiling add ¾ of the Lemon Zest to the water, stir and add to the Lemon Gelatin Powder. Stir for at least 1 minute to ensure the Gelatin is dissolved.
- Add the cold water. Stir until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Starting with a spatula fold in the cool whip into the Gelatin. Once combined use a whisk to ensure it is completely smooth. Place in the refrigerator until it starts to set. Should still be just pourable, 10-15 minutes.
- Place mixture into the pie crust, smooth out to the edges and garnish with remaining ¼ of the zest.
- Refrigerate until set firm, 4-5 hours.
- Optional, you may add the lemon’s juice that you zested for a little extra pucker. You can also give the pie a light sprinkle of coarse salt for a tangy sweet and salty taste.