For our Summer Friday Fun Day we mixed a little science with our food and made these Short Cut Shake Slushies! My kids have seen a commercial on TV for some cup that claims to make shushies in seconds. Well, we didn’t need a special cup. Just a bag or two, some salt, and ice. We made our own slushies in minutes!
We gathered our supplies. You really just need ziplocs, salt, ice, and juice of choice.
In the gallon ziploc place ice and salt. In the smaller quart ziploc place your juice and zip tight. Place the quart juice bag inside the gallon ice bag and zip tight.
Now give to a kid….or 2 …..or 3 and let them shake. This only takes a couple minutes.
When it is done the juice will be all slushie! Perfect! Give them a spoon to eat it right out of the bag, or pour it into a cup/bowl.
Short Cut Shake Slushies
- 1 cup Juice, Soda, or other drink
- 4 cups Ice
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 1 Gallon Ziploc Bag
- 1 Quart Ziploc Bag
- Place the juice into the quart ziploc bag and zip tight.
- Place Ice and salt into the gallon ziploc bag along with the sealed quart juice bag. Zip tight.
- Shake the gallon bag for 2-5 minutes or unitl the juice bag turns to slush.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy.
- You can save the gallon saltwater bag in the freezer for slushies another day.
So do you want to know the science behind how these work?!
Salt with the ice causes the ice to melt faster. In order to melt, the ice is absorbing heat from the surrounding areas faster causing them to get colder. So that is what makes the ice melt and your juice turn to slushie. The higher the concentration of salt, the lower the temperature of the new freezing/melting point. Basically meaning, the more salt the faster your slushie will freeze.
We actually save the gallon ziplocs with salt ice for another time. Just store them in the freezer 😉