My kids love having a sweet treat in the evenings, so I like to surprise them with something special from time to time. Tonight it was this Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake! I love it because poke cakes are so easy to make. They turn out moist, and flavorful every time. All they need is a simple Cool Whip or whipped cream topping and they are good to go.
I just baked a lemon cake mix according to package instructions. You can also use this Homemade yellow cake mix and add some lemon zest to the mix. 🙂 Once it is baked start poking holes in it. The bigger the better. Then pour the jello mix over the holes. That is it!
This time after the strawberry jello mix I topped the cake with some Lemon Curd. You can find it at most grocery stores, or you can make your own with this Lemon Curd Recipe. Then I popped it in the fridge all day. Overnight works best. Top with Whipped Topping before you cut to serve.
Strawberry lemonade Poke Cake
Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake
Yield 12 -16
- 1 Box Lemon Cake Mix (prepared according to package)
- 1 small box Strawberry Jello
- 1 Cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup Lemon Curd
- 1 8oz Tub Cool Whip or Whipped Cream
- Bake Lemon Cake according to package for 13x9-inch pan. Cool cake in pan 15 min. Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water; pour over cake. Spread Lemon curd over the cake evenly, allowing it to go down into the holes as well. Refrigerate for atleast 3 hours.
- FROST cake with COOL WHIP. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The tanginess of the lemon with the sweetness of the strawberries makes this the perfect Summer cake!