Popcorn, candy, chocolate, and sprinkles on a stick. Yep…..do I need to say more? These are epic. They are amazing to individually wrap for parties, get togethers, or just pop on a serving tray and watch them disappear.
You can decorate these Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Pops with any colors you choose. That makes these versatile for any holiday or celebration. Plus they are so easy to make! Not to forget that these can be made gluten free and dairy free to boot! SCORE!
First you are going to pop the sugar, corn syrup, water, and vinegar in a pot over medium heat. Stick a handy dandy candy thermometer in there and watch it go. Of course stirring along the way.
Now I am sorry that there aren’t more pictures of these stages, but I had to move fast. Once the syrup reaches 260 degrees F remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine, food coloring, and flavoring. Pour quickly over the popcorn stirring to coat all of the pieces.
Then here is where the fun comes in. GREASE your hands and start making balls. I made mine smaller for the pops and stuck a straw in them for the stick.
YUM…my favorite part. The chocolate. I just used the microwave to melt some chocolate chips. I carefully dipped half of the popcorn pops in the chocolate, allowing the excess to drip off.
Then while the chocolate was still wet I added sprinkles…cause hey, why not?! I then put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and popped them in the fridge to set.
Once the chocolate was set they are good to go!
- 9 cups plain popped popcorn
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (margarine, or coconut oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavor)
- Food Coloring (optionalChocolate Dip)
- 1 12 oz package semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or margarine
- Coat a large heatproof bowl ( I used a 13x9 pan) with butter, vegetable oil, or cooking spray and place popcorn in the bowl.
- Place sugar, corn syrup, water, vinegar, and salt in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Place over medium high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture registers 260°F on a candy/fat thermometer. Should take 5-7 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in butter (or margarine) and vanilla until melted and smooth.
- Immediately pour sugar mixture over popcorn and stir continuously with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom of the bowl, until popcorn is thoroughly coated and cool enough to handle, about 3 minutes.
- Using buttered or oiled hands, tightly press mixture (it may still be a bit warm) into 2-inch rounds. Insert Popsicle stick or straw. Place on parchment paper to cool completely, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once cool place chocolate chips and coconut oil (or margarine) in a microwave safe bowl. Place in microwave for 1 minute at 50% power. Stir. Continue at 50% power in 30 sec increments until chocolate is smooth when stirred.
- Dip popcorn balls into chocolate allowing excess to fall off. Add sprinkles if desired. Return to parchment lined baking sheet to set up. Once they are all done, you can pop them in the fridge to cool them faster.
- Store uneaten pops in an airtight container.Dairy Free
- use a dairy free chocolate chip like Ghirardelli Semi Sweet and dairy free margarine or coconut oil.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.