The past couple weeks have been so busy with deals, black friday, cyber monday, and crazy in between. I haven’t had time to make any new recipes but I truly missed it. I love getting in the kitchen and getting my creativity going.
I decided I needed a new cookie for my holiday trays this year, but something simple. These Peppermint Mocha Sandwich Cookies use a red velvet cake mix. How is that for easy?!
The cookies themselves are seriously a red velvet cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup veg oil. Beat it together and drop it by spoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I gave mine a little pat down to flatten them a little before I popped them in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 mins.
By the way….if you don’t have a cookie scoop yet you need one! They make baking cookies 100 times easier
My cookies came out smelling and looking delicious. While they cooled I whipped up a simple peppermint filling. It just takes a minute.
Once the cookies are cool you are going to pipe the filling onto one of the cookies. I just used a ziploc bag, filled it with the icing, and then cut the tip off. Once the filling is on the cookie, I just topped it with the other.
Last but not least I crushed some candy canes and sprinkled them around the edges of the icing. Don’t these look so festive?! OH MY….and they are magically disappearing off of my cake plate as we speak.
- 1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup butter or margarine softened
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Peppermint extract
- 2 TBSP milk
- ½ cup crushed peppermints (10 rounds) or candy canes (about 4 large)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- In a bowl mix together cake mix, eggs, and oil with mixer until well combined.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten a little with your hand.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to completely cool before filling.
- Cream butter or margarine with your mixer. Beat in the sugar, peppermint extract, and 1 tbsp milk. Add more milk until you have reached your desired consistency. Pipe icing onto one cookie. Top with second cookie to create sandwich.
- Roll sandwich cookie into the crushed peppermints.
- Store extras in airtight container