Well, we have turned a new page in my house. I have a teenager who wants to bake me something for Mothers Day. Yes, I have taught her how to work in the kitchen, and let her help me since she was itty bitty. I guess I just never thought about her taking over and making me something in the kitchen. It touched my heart when she asked what she could make me that was “fancy” for Mothers Day.
So we had a practice run today with these yummy Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Buttercream Frosting! For the cake, you can buy a store bought lemon cake mix or you can use this Homemade Yellow Cake mix and add 1 tsp of lemon zest and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Just follow the directions for either cake mix to make the batter.
I recently bought these fun flower cupcake liners. I thought this was the perfect chance to use them. These are for the mini cupcake pan and the perfect size for some Mother’s Day Cupcakes!
Because this is for the mini cupcake pan you want to use a full tablespoon of batter to fill these up. Place in the oven and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes for mini cupcakes. 25-30 minutes for regular sized cupcakes.
Allow them to cool completely then frost with this amazing lavender buttercream frosting. We made ours lavender to match the flavor, and decorated with these royal icing flowers. You can find most of these fun decorator items at your local super store, or online at LayerCakeShop.com
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-2 drops lavender essential oil
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla, lavender, and milk and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.