You are only a kid once and we do our best around here to live it up! The end of the school year is the perfect time for a blowout Summer celebration and we kicked things off with these Water Gun Tie Dye Shirts! We all had a blast!
You will Need
- White t-shirt for every participant (found these at Walmart for a little over $2 each)
- Acrylic Paint (whatever colors you want)
- Water Guns (preferably the pump kind)
I mixed 1 Tbsp of acrylic paint for every 8 oz of water. I filled each kids water gun with their own color. I did 16 oz of water and 2 Tbsp of paint in each one. I pre-mixed it in a plastic cup because that worked the best for us.
I used acrylic paint instead of t-shirt dye or kool aid because it washes off your skin the easiest. If you were to use another type of paint or dye you could end up being a Smurf. Don’t be a Smurf….use acrylic paint. 😉
I had the kids put on some old pants that we weren’t worried about ruining and their white t-shirts. I then gave them each their paint filled water guns. I added some rules that made this a bit more fun.
- They had to stand in the same spot; running would have messed the yard and not their shirts.
- After 10 seconds they switched guns. That way they would end up with different colors.
- Aim for the shirts, not for faces. Seriously, this had to be a rule.
- Have fun!
- No refills, so make it worth it!
Ready, aim, fire….they were off!
I swear I said no faces!
We’re getting colorful!
Don’t they look awesome? Not pictured was the fact that Mom had a water gun hidden with red paint in it!!! Muah ha ha…. It was every man for himself when their guns were emptied. ROFL!
I am pretty sure that I just got some kind of best first week of Summer award!
I love the way these turned out! The water mixed with the acrylic creates a watercolor effect. The longer it is on the shirt the more it absorbs throughout and blends!
We are definitely going to do this again! By the way, the kids washed clean. No paint stains on their skin. Which is a small miracle. I wish I could say the same for their underwear, which is now also tie dyed. LOL It’s ok, such a fun day with a ton of memories made!