This post may contain affiliate links.
When I was a kid give me a chicken mcnugget meal and a couple containers of sweet and sour sauce and I was a happy camper. Fast forward a few years and I won’t go near a McDonalds but I still love some Sweet and Sour Chicken. It has taken me a while to perfect a quick and easy Sweet & Sour Chicken that I love feeding my family and this is it.
Instead of overly breading and frying my chicken, I toss it in gluten free flour and brown it in a skillet with olive oil. It gives it that crispy coating without frying. I make my own sweet and sour sauce, which is so much easier than you think. Just serve with some rice and veggies and you have a full meal.
- 3-4 Medium Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - diced, about 1.5 - 2lbs
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 8 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained (juice reserved)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups water - divided
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 drops orange food color
- 1/2 cup diced colorful bell peppers
- Prepared white rice
- In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, and orange food coloring. Heat to boiling. Turn off heat. Combine 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; slowly stir into saucepan. Continue stirring until mixture thickens.Chicken
- Cut chicken into cubes. In a gallon ziploc bag toss chicken with the flour, ginger, and garlic.
- Heat 4 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Add floured chicken cubes in small batches. Making sure all sides are browned. Then place the browned chicken in a 13x9 pan. Continue until all the chicken is browned.
- Take 1/2 cup of the finished sweet and sour sauce and drizzle it over the chicken. Place in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven prepare the rice.
- When ready to serve, layer green peppers, pineapple chunks, and cooked chicken pieces on a platter. Pour hot sweet and sour sauce over top.Gluten Free
- Use a gluten free flour mix