I am tickled pink that my garden is finally being fruitful and we can take advantage of the wonderful produce that it is providing. So far we have had an abundance of jalapenos. Now the cucumbers and squash are really starting to come in. The tomatoes are following in at last place right now, but I have my fingers crossed that the heirloom tomatoes I planted are going to be amazing.
In the summer there is squash and zucchini everywhere. It is hard to be creative or find new and delicious ways to serve these up on the dinner table. The Cheesy Squash & Tomato Casserole does the trick and then some. Not only will it wow everyone with how beautiful it comes out of the oven. The taste is divine!
- 4 slices of bacon (cooked crisp)
- 3 to 4 small to medium summer squash (sliced about ¼" thick)
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, (coarsely chopped)
- 2 to 3 tomatoes
- Garlic salt
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Fresh basil, for garnish, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter a 9 x 9 inch baking pan, spread a layer of ½ of the sliced squash across the bottom of the pan and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Top with ½ of the chopped onion, and ½ of the sliced tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle ½ of the bacon on top. Finally cover it with 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat this process again for the final layer. Topping with the remaining cheese and a layer of bread crumbs and add half of the shredded cheese. Repeat with another layer of squash, a light sprinkle of garlic salt, onion, tomatoes, salt and pepper, bacon, and all of the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour, or until tender. Sprinkle top with basil if desired, and use a slotted spoon to serve.