This post may contain affiliate links.
The holidays are here and I love baking up some love for the family. I used to make these cookies for breakfast a long time ago with puff pastry and cream cheese. They were so simple, flaky, creamy, and perfect. Over the years, and a couple kids later I guess in an effort to cut calories I quit baking them. I decided to Share the Delight and bring them back with a twist in these Creamy Cocoa Breakfast Cookies!
I love these cookies because they are so simple to throw together and you can prep them ahead of time to just slice and bake when you are ready to serve.
In a bowl mix 8 oz of softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup of sugar and a drizzle of International Delight Frosted Sugar Cookie flavored creamer. It just makes everything better. Have you tasted it yet? OMG! Go now to International Delight to sign up and get a coupon for yours!
Now lay out a piece of thawed puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper. Roll it out with a rolling pin a little bit just to make the rectangle a couple inches bigger. Spread the cream cheese over the top evenly.
My favorite part. Sprinkle the top with semi sweet chocolate chips and dried mini marshmallows. I found these on the aisle with the cocoa at my grocery store. They came in a little carton. They are the same dried mini marshmallows that go in cocoa, and they work perfectly in this pastry!
**You have to use the dried marshmallows. Regular marshmallows will disintegrate while baking.
Now roll the puff pastry up (long side to long side) and wrap it in the same parchment paper you rolled it out on. Place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight until you are ready to bake. This makes it easier to slice and helps the cookies stay together when baking.
When you are ready to bake slice the cookies into 3/4 – 1 inch thick slices and place the on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 – 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from the oven, drizzle with some glaze, and serve. SIMPLY DELICIOUS!
Creamy Cocoa Breakfast Cookies
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry one - 17.25 ounce pkg
- 1 eight ounce pkg cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp International Delight Frosted Sugar Cookie Creamer
- 1/4 white sugar
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried mini marshmallowsGlaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp+ International Delight Frosted Sugar Cookie Creamer
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer, allow to thaw at room temperature.
- On a large piece of parchment paper roll each sheet into a 14 x 10 inch rectangle
- In the bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and International Delight Sugar Cookie Creamer (Optional) together until smooth.
- Divide the cream cheese between both sheets of puff pastry. Starting at one long end of the pastry, start spreading the cream cheese to the other end, leaving a one inch border at that end without cream cheese.
- In a small bowl mix together the chocolate chips & marshmallows. sprinkle evenly on both sheets.
- Starting with the long end (jelly roll style) and roll the sheet to the other side with the inch border without cream cheese. Moisten the pastry edge with water and seal the edge. Place the roll in the refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight if you would like these for breakfast.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice the log into 1 inch pieces and place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.Glaze
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and 1 tsp of International Delight Frosted Sugar Cookie Creamer (can substitute milk). Until a glaze is formed. Add more creamer until you reach the desired consistency. Drizzle over cookies before serving
This conversation is sponsored by International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.