Make some art with your kids with this easy to make Homemade Finger Paint Recipe. Perfect for little ones who love to be creative!
Some of the best memories you will ever make with your kids are while doing a simple activity. The time spent with them is the most meaningful. These Homemade Finger Paints are affordable, easy-to-make, and so much fun. They are the perfect way to spend an afternoon laughing and making memories.
What you Need
To make homemade finger paint you need only a few items. You probably have most of these around your kitchen.
- Liquid Dish Soap
- Food Coloring
- Small plastic container to hold the finished paint
How to make finger paint
Combine all of the ingredients except for the food coloring in a medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens into a jelly consistency. The paint will thicken slightly as it cools
Divide mixture into separate containers.
Add gel food coloring to each container to achieve the desired color. Stir with popsicle sticks to make clean up easy.
Store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 7 days. The paint may need to be stirred prior to use.
Here are a few tips for a fun day of finger painting.
- Using Finger Paint Paper really helps the paint go on smoother.
- Give your child an old oversized tee shirt to wear while painting. This will protect their clothes.
Toddlers & Preschoolers love to paint! This is a great way to have them learn while having fun! Here are just a couple ideas!
- Have them mix 2 colors together to make a new color. Ex: Yellow + Blue = Green
- Teach them new shapes and have them practice making them with the finger paint.
- Introduce letters and numbers and have them practice with the finger paint.
This paint will keep in an airtight container for about 7 days at room temperature. You may need to stir it after it has sat for awhile.
DIY Finger Paint Recipe
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons liquid dish soap
- Gel food coloring
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens into a jelly consistency. The paint will thicken slightly as it cools.
- Divide mixture into separate containers. Add gel food coloring as desired and stir to combine.
- Store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 7 days. Paint may need to be stirred prior to use.