Skip the cans and make THE BEST Tomato Soup Recipe in just minutes. It is so simple, full of flavor, and just incredible!
Tomato Soup is a must for grilled cheese and I will admit to purchasing cans of condensed tomato soup in the past. Now that I know how easy and affordable it is to make homemade fresh Tomato Soup, I will never go back! In only a few minutes this recipe makes a pot of the most delicious Tomato Soup you have ever tried and with only a few ingredients.
How to make Tomato Soup
When I say this soup is simple, I mean it. In a sauce pan, add in olive oil and sauté your onions, toss in some garlic too if you like it.
Once the onions are soft, add in the canned crushed tomatoes, broth or water, and seasonings. Give it a stir. Continue to heat over medium heat until warm enough to enjoy.
If you aren't a fan of the pieces of onion you can puree your soup in a blender or with an immersion blender.
Serve and Enjoy!
There are many reasons I love this easy soup! One of them is because it is naturally gluten free. So many of those store bought soups contain hidden wheat or milk. This is just straight forward delicious tomato soup!
This recipe is vegan as long as you use vegetable broth or water in the soup instead of chicken broth. Even better with a dollop of vegan sour cream swirled in! YUM!
Store any uneaten soup in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat and enjoy!
This easy tomato soup is amazing with a grilled cheese. We also like to swirl in a dollop of sour cream into the center of the soup for some added creaminess. It really is delicious!
Easy Tomato Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion cut into large wedges
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes *See Notes
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dill
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- other spices/seasonings to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat add in olive oil and onions. Cook unitl translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, broth, and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Continue to cook over medium low heat untl your soup is the temperature you enjoy.
- If you are not a fan of the pieces of onions and want a smoother soup you can use an immersion blender or blender to puree them for a smoother soup.
- You can use any type of tomato. However, you may need to puree your soup in a blender before serving. The crushed tomatoes give the soup a great consistency without needing to blend.