I have been bustling about the house trying to be in the Christmas spirit. “Joy to the World” is echoing off the walls in my house, The Stockings are hung by the chimney, the kids are drinking hot cocoa, and I am in the kitchen baking cookies.
I was trying to be unique with my cookie selection this week and sat at the kitchen table thumbing through cookbooks. Every time I looked up I saw these three chocolate covered noses and grins starring back at me over the top of their coffee mugs of cocoa. It was inspiration that I couldn’t ignore.
So for our Christmas Cookie this week, I give you, Hot Cocoa cookies! Don’t forget to head over to the A Few Short Cuts Cookie Swap 2011 page for more cookie inspiration!
- 1 cup butter, softened (Or Butter Flavored Crisco)
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (ghiradelli are dairy free)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set.
- Immediately top with three mini marshmallows when you remove the cookies from the oven.
- If more gooey marshmallow is desired place marshmallow topped cookies back in the oven for 1 mintute.
- Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Immediately top each cookie with 3 mini marshmallows.
Return to oven for 1 minute if you want them extra gooey. Allow to cool and serve. Store extra cookies in an airtight container! Make 4 dozen.