One of my favorite Christmas Cookies! This Hot Cocoa Cookies Recipe is easy to make and goes great with a cup of Hot Chocolate!
I have been bustling about the house trying to be in the Christmas spirit. “Joy to the World” is echoing off the walls in my house, The Stockings are hung by the chimney, the kids are drinking hot cocoa, and I am in the kitchen baking cookies.
I was trying to be unique with my cookie selection this week and sat at the kitchen table thumbing through cookbooks. Every time I looked up I saw these three chocolate-covered noses and grins staring back at me over the top of their coffee mugs of cocoa. It was an inspiration that I couldn’t ignore. These Hot Cocoa Cookies are the perfect chewy chocolate cookie with mini marshmallows piled right on top. They are so cute on a plate for Santa, or pretty on a cookie platter for the holidays.
Gluten Free Hot Cocoa Cookies
There aren't a ton of changes to make these cookies gluten free. Just switch out the all-purpose flour for your favorite gluten-free baking mix. Also, double check your other ingredients to ensure they are gluten free.
Cookie Baking tips
When it comes to baking cookies there are a few tips that just make life easier!
Use Parchment Paper or Silpat.
Use a Cookie Scoop. Y'all, every time I bake drop cookies I use a cookie scoop. It makes evenly shaped perfect cookies EVERY TIME. Life-changing if you love to bake cookies. Amazon sells all sizes of cookie scoops that you can pick from.
Should you chill the dough? It isn't "NECESSARY" for this recipe, but read this post full of info about why you should chill your cookie dough. It may change your mind.
Freeze the Extra Dough for another day. Making your own freezer cookie dough is easy, and practical. It makes fresh baked cookies possible any day of the week. Check out these Freezer cookie dough tips.
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set.
- Immediately top with three mini marshmallows when you remove the cookies from the oven.
- If more gooey marshmallow is desired place marshmallow topped cookies back in the oven for 1 mintute.
- Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Substitute in a gluten free flour mix.
- Use a dairy free butter alternative and dairy free chocolate chips.
More Cocoa Delicious
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.