Turn a simple dresser into a faux card catalog dresser with this easy DIY. This inexpensive and easy project is a great way to spice up a boring piece of furniture.
We are in the process of updating our "Fixer Upper" and my daughters' room was first on the list. The idea is to go with a British Bookstore type of theme, because they love all things books. What is more bookstore/library than a card catalog? Check out this simple Ikea Hack to turn a Ikea Kullen Dresser into a Faux Card Catalog dresser with these easy steps.
Faux Card Catalog Dresser
You will need
- Dresser - I used a Ikea Kullen 6 Drawer Dresser
- Card Catalog Hardware
- Peel and Stick Vinyl Flooring (wood looking)
- Xacto Knife
- Screw Driver
- This project was easy peasy! We already had the Ikea Kullen Dresser assembled and in the room. You could use any brand or size dresser with flat drawer fronts. This was what we had and it worked great.
- I purchased these peel and stick vinyl floor tiles from Lowes. I chose tiles that had the wood floor look because I knew I wanted my faux card catalog drawers to have a wood finish. If you choose to make this and paint over it for a solid finish it doesn't matter what color the peel and stick flooring is. You can purchase the single tiles, no need to buy a full box.
- Use an Xacto knife and a straight edge to cut your faux drawer fronts. Score the back of the peel and stick flooring and give it a bend. It should snap perfectly if scored correctly. Measure your drawer fronts and decide on a length and width that leaves an even amount of spacing and works the best for you. I recommend cutting a piece of paper and taping it to the front for a visual before you cut your tiles.
- Once the tiles are cut you can begin sticking them onto your drawer fronts. After you place them on screw on your card catalog drawer pulls. Not only does this add a decorative pull but it also helps to hold on the vinyl tile until they stick properly.
- Continue this until you have the desired amount of faux card catalog drawers.
You can choose your tile finish to match your furniture, or you may choose to paint the entire dresser a solid color and then add your hardware. Either way this Faux Card Catalog Dresser is sure to be super cute when you are finished. It looks super sophisticated paired with this inexpensive wall art. I would love to see yours when you finish it. Post it to social media with #AFewShortcuts to share.
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.