Unique and delicious. If you Love pumpkin recipes, you will love this Pumpkin Fry Bread Recipe. It is great for not only fall buy year round.
Pumpkin is something that I am in love with during the Fall. I use it in a little bit of EVERYTHING! Pretty much if it is pumpkin flavored I am in. I am also one of those people you will see stocking up on canned pumpkin when it goes on sale after the Fall. My pantry has a sufficient stockpile of canned Pumpkin: Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall.
After all, Pumpkin is the most versatile vegetable in the world that can be used in a variety of sweet and savory dishes throughout the year. Unfortunately, people are missing out by using it only in the Fall. Did you know that Pumpkin is a superfood? Pumpkin adds extra fiber and Vitamin A to recipes. It’s packed with Beta Carotene. It can be used to replace the fat in some recipes and cut the amount of sodium per serving in others. When used as a replacement for butter, eggs or oil it can also reduce calories.
Pumpkin is fun to keep on hand to sneak some extra vitamins and fiber in on the kids. Mix 1/4 cup into your tomato sauce for spaghetti, a tbsp into the Mac & Cheese, or even drop some into smoothies. My favorite trick for smoothies is to freeze the pumpkin into ice cube trays….then just drop it right in when we need one or two. The kids will never know you secretly gave them something healthy.
Being a Floridian there is one great recipe that came to mind that we love year round. Pumpkin Fry Bread. It is a native Seminole Indian Dish, that is melt in your mouth AMAZING! Plus, I love that it only takes me about 10 minutes to whip up the dough and fry a batch. This makes a great addition to grilled chicken, veggies, and more. OR mix it up and sprinkle it with Cinnamon Sugar and serve it as a breakfast treat. SERIOUS Mom points will be scored!
Pumpkin Fry Bread
Pumpkin Fry BreadPrint Recipe
- 15 oz Pumpkin puree canned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups all Purpose Flour
- 4 tsps baking Powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixer blend together the pumpkin puree, water, and sugar.
- Begin to stir in the flour, and baking powder, adding a little at a time.
- Continue to mix until dough forms. Then let the mixer run on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Dough will be sticky.
- Heat vegetable oil in frying pan to 350 degrees. It needs to be about 1 inch deep.
- Flour your hands and take a handful of dough. Flatten it into a patty about 1/4 inch thick by 4-5 inches in diameter. Carefully drop into hot oil and let fry until brown on one side.
- Flip over and brown other side. The bread will puff up and get crisp and chewy. Sprinkle with granulated sugar if desired.
Do you love pumpkin?
Check out all of these yummy Pumpkin Recipes here on A Few Shortcuts!