This Florida Girl that has been transplanted to Iowa is getting impatient. I should have tomatoes by now. Atleast that is what my brain is telling me. In Florida I would have picked a gazillion by now. My tomato plants have taken off here. I have so many flowers and green tomatoes it isn’t funny. That is the problem….they are green. Not red, not yellow. No hint of turning ripe in the near future. Just big ole green tomatoes.
My husband has been joking with me, walking around for weeks saying, ”You know you can just fry them. We haven’t had fried green tomatoes in forever.” Yeah yeah yeah….but I want to see my tomatoes turn red. It is a pride thing. I planted the seeds, watered them, fertilized them, the whole nine yards. Now I want them to turn red on the vine.
Well, after starring at these Big Green Globes hanging from the vines for going on 2 weeks…still no red, I folded. I went out and picked three of the biggest, greenest tomatoes you ever saw and fried them. I am hoping it will scare the other ones into turning red. Still no luck.
- 2-3 Large Green Tomatoes
- 1½ cups corn meal
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- ½ cup -1 cup veg oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes into about ¼ inch thick slices.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium - medium high heat.
- You will need 3 bowls. Bowl 1: Whisk together egg and milk. Bowl 2: Place Corn starch and salt & pepper if desired. Bowl 3: Place Corn Meal and chili powder. Stir together.
- Take each tomato slice and coat with cornstarch. Then dip into egg wash. Then into the corn meal mix.
- Place in hot oil and fry on each side 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate or a baking rack to drain the excess oil.
- Repeat the process with each slice of tomato.