A family favorite! This Pepperoni Rolls Recipe makes a perfect lunch! Make these ahead and freeze for a grab and pack lunch idea!
When I was little my mom and my grandma made these ALL of the time. It was a special treat when they got to baking and I knew I was going to have a Pepperoni Roll for lunch. These things are the best. My mom went to high school in West Virginia where these are traditionally from. In my opinion, this is one West Virginia tradition that should be shared everywhere!
Over the years we have used different bread dough recipes. You can even make these with the store bought frozen bread dough if you don’t feel like making your own. I have been making them for the last 15 years with this super simple refrigerator bread dough. I love it because I can make it as far as 4 days in advance and it just keeps in the fridge.
When putting these together take your dough and pat it out into a circle, place the pepperoni slices on, and then roll it up like a jelly roll. Pinch the ends together and press the seems in before placing it on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Once these rise just pop them in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. That is all it takes for this delicious homemade treat!
- 1 cup warm water (105 ° to 115°)
- 2 packages dry yeast or 2 TBSP dry Yeast
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter or dairy free margarine
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 4-4½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 Package sliced pepperoni or a stick cut into smaller sticks.
- Combine the warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand until yeast is foamy about 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time until dough is too stiff to mix. (I just use a wooden spoon and mix this by hand. Use at least the 4 cups. The dough will still be sticky but hard to mix.)
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours up to 4 days (I forgot to mention you can totally make this ahead of time and toss it in the fridge)
- Turn the Chilled dough out on a lightly floured board or counter.
- I divide the dough into halves, then quarters and go from there. You can make these any size you would like. Just make sure they are uniform so they bake evenly. I got 20 rolls out of a full batch of dough.
- Work the dough with your hand on the floured surface. Flour your hands if necessary. Flatten and lay as many pepperoni as desired on top. Roll up and pinch edges shut with fingers.
- Place rolls on parchment lined baking sheet 1-2 inches apart because they will rise.
- Once baking sheet is full cover with dish towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375° and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter and enjoy!
- Use dairy free margarine instead of butter
These freeze well once baked.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.