It's hot and there is no better time than now to learn How to Grill Pizza. Check out this delicious and simple grilled pizza recipe!
Gas or Charcoal; it doesn't matter. This Grilled Pizza Recipe works on both and is DELICIOUS! It keeps the heat outside and you end up with a crispy, cheesy pizza that is worthy of any restaurant. You choose your favorite sauce and toppings and let the grill do the rest.
My kids first statement...Why would you grill a pizza? Um, why not? It is hot outside and I don't want to turn the oven on. Some of the best pizzas come from those old Italian Brick Fire Ovens that reach temperatures close to the surface of the sun. LOL While I don't have one of those, I do have a grill, and it gets super hot. So my question is, why not grill a pizza? It is delicious!
How to Grill Pizza
Grilled pizza moves fast! Faster than you may think, so prepare your sauce and ingredients before you get started. Also, the pizza dough. I love to make my own pizza dough, but you can totally use store bought and it will be just as good.
Roll your crust out into a rectangle. (Trust me. It is easier to handle a rectangle on the grill.) Place it on a lightly floured pizza peel or pan until the grill is ready.
You are going to heat your grill to a medium-high heat. Brush your grill grates with a little vegetable oil. This will prevent your crust from sticking. Slide the dough onto the greased grates. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Flip your pizza over and coat lightly with olive oil. Look at those marks!
It's go time! Spread on your sauce, toss on your cheese and toppings, then close the grill lid. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes or until your cheese is melted and bubbly.
Get ready to enjoy your pizza. Pull it off the grill, slice and serve!
There is no wrong way to top a pizza! There, I said it! Here are a few options that you will love!
- Cooked Chicken
To make a Vegan Grilled Pizza use a vegan pizza dough, and a delicious tomato based sauce. You will need to omit the cheese or use a plant based cheese. We have found Daiya Brand is one of the best. Then top with veggies!
I really doubt you are going to have any leftover pizza, BUT if you do store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Prepare sauce and all toppings, set aside
- Roll out pizza dough into a thin rectangle using a small dusting of flour so the dough doesn’t stick. Place dough on large baking sheet or pizza paddle
- Heat grill to medium-high heat
- Coat grates of grill with vegetable oil using a folded paper towel
- Slide pizza dough onto heated grates
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom is lightly brown
- Flip pizza over and brush lightly with olive oil
- Spread on pizza sauce and top with mozzarella cheese and toppings of your choice
- Close the lid and grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings are lightly browned
- Remove from grill and transfer to cutting board
- Add fresh herbs and parmesan cheese if desired
- Serve immediately