This is a keeper! Snag this Homemade Pizza Crust Recipe that is quick & easy to make. You can even turn it into your own homemade freezer pizza.
One of the early recipes on A Few Shortcuts was this delicious homemade pizza that I used to make all the time for the kids when they were little. As they have gotten older, and their pallets have changed we eat a little less pizza and a little more "real food". I will say that pizza night is still a an event that is looked forward to in our house, and the kids know that this homemade pizza crust recipe is still the best!
While the original post was lost over the years in a server transfer gone wrong, I still have the recipe and I thought it was time to repost it so you could enjoy it just like we do.
Gluten Free Pizza Crust
I know how important it is to have food options, and a great tasting gluten free pizza crust is a must! Check out this yummy gluten free pizza recipe if you need a gluten free crust.
Homemade Frozen Pizza
Skip those store bought frozen pizzas and make your own! It is fun to have a "pizza party" with the kids and assemble several pizzas at once. Pre-bake the crusts and then put on your favorite topping once the crust is cool. Wrap the pizzas tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until you are ready to use.
When ready preheat your oven to 375 or 400 degrees F and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until your toppings are the desired doneness.
You can store these frozen pizzas in your freezer for up to 2 months. Maybe longer, but we have never had them stick around that long.
Doubling the batch
Doubling this recipe is a must if you are making multiple pizzas, especially if you are planning on freezing them. One batch of dough is enough for a 16" large pizza or 2 smaller 8" pizzas.
This recipe doubles beautifully. You can actually change the serving size right in the recipe card below and it will update the ingredients for you.
Due to the amount of dough, I would not triple or quadruple this recipe at one time. I think a double batch is all a standard household mixer can take.
Freezing the Dough
Just like the homemade pizzas you can just prep the dough ahead of time, or split a batch and freeze the other half for another time. Just wrap the pizza dough tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer bag or air tight container.
When ready to use, thaw completely in the refrigerator first and then continue on as though it is fresh dough!
Homemade Pizza Tips
We have learned a trick or two to making pizza.
- Leave the dough a little sticky. This will make for a more tender chewy crust.
- Brush the crust with olive oil and sprinkle a little parmesan or garlic salt on it. Just yum!
- Pre-baking the crust is a must. I admit I have skipped this step before, but it is a must to a perfect crust.
- Olive oil your hands. If you have a hard time shaping the dough without it sticking to your hands just put a little olive oil on them. It adds to the flavor of the crust and keeps the dough from sticking.
- Get a pizza pan. I bought a 3 pack of pizza pans from Sam's Club for about $10, but you can also snag a pizza pan on amazon for very reasonable. They make your pizza much easier to handle.
Homemade Pizza Crust
- 1 tbsp quick rise dry yeast or 1 packet
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey you can substitute sugar
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- sliced meats
- Mix yeast in warm water, and let sit for a couple minutes.
- In large bowl mix the flour, seasonings, honey, and olive oil. Stir in yeast mixture. Mix for about 2 minutes with stand mixer or knead by hand until smooth.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes covered by a towel. Flatten on greased pan, or parchment covered pan.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Allow pizza crust to rise for about 15 - 20 minutes or while pizza preheats.
- Bake at 450 for about 7-10 minutes.
To Bake Pizza
- Remove from oven and Add sauce, cheese and toppings. Brush crust with olive oil if desired.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and pizza is at a desired level of doneness.