We are all looking for ways to use that leftover Easter ham that isn’t a sandwich. This is one of my favorite go to recipes because it is so versatile. It can be served as a side dish, for brunch, or as a meal. I have been told it is even better re-heated the next day.
This is also an inexpensive recipe to make, even more so when you already have the ham on hand. Try this delicious dish with your leftover ham, you will be glad you did!
- 4 Russet Potatoes Sliced into 1/4 slices
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP all purpose flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 8 oz shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp dill
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a large casserole dish. I used a 11x9
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with half of the ham, garlic salt, pepper, and a pinch of the dill. I added a little of the shredded cheese.
- Add the other layer of the potatoes, ham, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and 1/2 tsp salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted (about 30 to 60 seconds. ) Pour cheese over the potatoes.
- Cover casserole dish and place in oven.
- Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees in oven.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice potatoes in 1/4 inch slices. This is when the food processor comes in handy.
Chop about 1 -1 1/2 cups of ham.
Layer 1/2 of the potatoes ham, and seasoning in a large casserole dish. I added a little bit of the shredded cheese. Layer again with the remaining potatoes, ham, and seasonings.
In a saucepan heat butter and flour until thick. Add milk and cheese whisking constantly until melted.
Pour milk mixture over the potatoes. Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins
Serve warm! Also good reheated the next day!
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.