Healthy chocolate? This is pretty close! Try this simple Chocolate Coconut Bars Recipe for a delicious treat when that sweet tooth strikes. #vegan #glutenfree #dairyfree
I have some very happy people. All I can do is keep singing.....
"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Almond Joys have nuts, Mounds don't."
You are welcome for getting that stuck in your head too! These are like Homemade Mounds....but better! They are healthier! Yes, HEALTHIER! The ingredients to these candy bars are so simple you will wish you never saw the recipe. Because you can make them in minutes, from ingredients in your pantry. Making them the most accessible candy bar ever!
What exactly makes these healthy?! The coconut oil! I am using Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Vitacost. You can use any brand. I have some posts coming in the near future about what I use coconut oil from, but you really should google all of the health benefits. This stuff is amazing!
Anyway, back to chocolate. You are going to melt 1 cup of coconut oil, it only take a couple seconds in the microwave.
Mix it with 2 cups of unsweetened coconut and ¼ cup of honey. See...no sugar!
Once it is mixed press the coconut mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper. Pop it into the freezer to set up. At this point I walked away to pick the kids up from school. You want to leave it in the freezer just long enough to firm up.
Now time for my favorite chocolate! Enjoy Life makes a delicious dairy free chocolate chip! Making them amazing for this Chocolate Coconut Bars recipe! Just melt them until smooth, and pour over the coconut base spreading it out evenly.
I sprinkled a little extra coconut on the top too. 😉 I then popped the whole pan in the fridge for the chocolate to set up. When ready to serve just cut into 1 inch squares.
Chocolate Coconut Bars
- 1 Cup Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup honey
- 12 oz Semi sweet chocolate chips or dark
- Warm coconut oil just until it becomes liquid.
- Mix the shredded coconut and honey into the coconut oil, combining well.
- Press mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper and freeze or refrigerate until sold.
- Heat chocolate chips in microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring each time until completely melted.
- Pour over coconut spreading evenly. Top with extra coconut if desired. Refrigerate for chocolate to set.
- Cut into 1 inch squares and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
- **Dairy Free** Use Ghirardelli semi sweet or other dairy free chocolate
KetoReplace the honey with liquid stevia to taste.
Small people were waiting in the shadows for the first piece 😉