There are a few foods that seem to be a hit no matter the combo or recipe they are in. Cheese and Bacon are two of my favs. Seriously, I have never seen a recipe with bacon and cheese in it that was bad. These Way Better Cheesy Bacon Potato Bites follow the rule. I knew they were going to be good, but I had no idea. I took a bite of one after letting it cool, because a chef has to always take her creation 😉 OH…MY….WORD! YEP….at that point I doubled the batch cause I knew they would be gone in minutes.
These are perfect if you have left over mashed potatoes. They would even be perfect to throw together and freeze, then fry on demand when someone is wanting an amazing snack or appetizer. I can’t say enough good things about these. They are spectacular an you MUST try them!
Way Better Cheesy Bacon Potato Bites
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cups bacon crumbles
- salt & peper to taste
- 1/2 cup Way Better Sweet Chili Chips Crumbs (or other tortilla chips)
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- In a bowl mix together the potatoes, egg, cheese, bacon, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Form the potato mix into balls. I used my cookie scoop for this, it was perfect.
- Roll the balls into the chip crumbs and place on a plate.
- Once done place the potato balls in the fridge to cool while you heat the oil.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375 Degrees F in a deep skillet or dutch oven. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.
- The sauce is optional but if you would like to make some just wisk together sour cream, dill, and lemon/lime juice. Feel free to add salt & pepper to taste.
**These are gluten free** ***Make Ahead*** You could prep these ahead and just freeze them after the balls are made. When ready pull them out of the freezer to defrost in the fridge and fry according to the instructions.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.
If you were wondering these are the Way Better Chips in the recipe. They are the Simply So Sweet Chili Tortilla Chips. They are a little spicy on their own, but amazing as the coating on these potato bites!
This is what the potato mix looks like after it is mixed and before the balls are made. The cookie scoop is seriously the best tool for this job.
Roll each ball into the crushed chips and place on a plate. Then pop in the fridge while you are heating the oil.
When they come out of the oil after frying for about 3 minutes you end up with “Awesome Tater Tots with Bacon”, atleast that is what the kids called them.
I am a Way Better Snack Brand Ambassador, but all opinions are 100% my own.