Spring is here and Easter is around the corner. The kids and I wanted something to help usher in spring this week. These Birds Nest Cookies are just so stinkin cute, we couldn’t resist!
I love love love them because the are Gluten free, and Dairy Free (minus the cadbury eggs). Making them a great treat for everyone in my house! They are also super easy. The hardest part is waiting for them to come out of the oven. I had several pacers this time around, but they were glad they waited when they were finished. These are such a cute Easter dessert, you have to give them a try!
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 cup of white sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shredded coconut (divided)
- Cadbury mini eggs Or Jelly Beans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- Then, slowly add the sugar, beating constantly until the mixture is glossy and stiff (another minute or so). Beat in the vanilla extract until just combined.
- Fold in ½ cup of shredded coconut. Do this gently so you don’t flatten your meringue.
- Spoon mounds of the mixture onto each baking sheet. Use a spoon to shape each mound into a 4-inch-wide circle with a 2-inch-deep depression in the center.
- Give your treats the look of a nest by sprinkling shredded coconut over each one.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the meringues are dry and the coconut has turned golden brown.
- Once cool, tuck malted candy egg or jelly bean into the nest for each child in the family.
Beat together 4 Egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form.
Slowly beat in 1 cup of sugar until meringue becomes glossy and stiff.
Fold in 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. Be-careful not to stir because that will flatten your meringue.
Scoop the meringue mix onto parchment lined baking sheets and use a spoon to make a dent in the middle for the nest. Sprinkle the outsides of the “nests” with more shredded coconut. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 250 Degrees F.
Tuck in the candies once the cookies are cool!
I had to get a picture of this one…it looks like they are hatching! Enjoy! Store uneaten nests in an airtight container.