Friday night is typically taco night in our house, and the night I make “Snack”urday. It ushers in a relaxing weekend, and it is a great way to kick back and relax with the kids. Seeing that tacos and dessert are our typical Friday night combo, I am surprised that this hasn’t made our rotation much sooner!
These Apple Nachos are the perfect mix of healthy, decadent, and convenient all rolled into one. The crisp green granny smith’s give just the right tartness to compete with the sweetness of the caramel and the chocolate. Just FABULOUS!
- 4 medium tart apples peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Veg oil Cooking spray
- corn tortillas or plain unsalted tortilla chips
- Caramel Ice cream topping
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp margarine or coconut oil
- Other toppings nuts, choc chips, marshmallows optional
- Slice and core apples and place in a large bowl of water with 1 tsp lemon juice to prevent browning. These can be stored in the fridge like this for 1-2 days.
- Cut corn tortillas into strips and spread over a baking sheet. Spray with veg oil cooking spray and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until crisp. These may also be made ahead and stored in an airtight container.
- Melt chocolate chips and margarine in a microwave safe bowl on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds or until melted through.
- Assemble nachos on plate. Arrange apples, cinnamon sugar tortillas, drizzle with caramel and chocolate.
- Top with any other toppings you choose; nuts, chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc.
- Serve immediately!
Gather your Granny smith apples. Core and slice them. You can do this early and place them in a bowl of water with 1 tsp of lemon juice to prevent browning.
I made homemade cinnamon tortilla chips for with this for added crunch. You can omit them and just use the apples. The chips are just corn tortillas cut into strips and placed on a baking sheet. You then spray them with cooking spray and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes until crisp.
Assemble the nachos with the apples and tortillas on the bottom. Drizzle with caramel and chocolate, then top with your choose of toppings. These are to die for!