Warm, Hearty, and Delicious this is the Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe. This made from scratch savory pie is a perfect dinner idea.
When there is a chill in the air, classic comfort food sounds amazing for dinner. Especially when that comfort food is the best Classic Chicken Pot Pie. This all-in-one dish is a great option for dinner and even when it is made from scratch doesn't take that long to prepare. This yummy dish is also simple to convert to gluten-free or dairy-free which makes it a winner in my book.
To make this Chicken Pot Pie you will need.
- Pie Crust (you can try this homemade one or use premade)
- Chicken breast (cooked/shredded)
- Mixed Vegetables
- chicken broth
- corn starch
- vegetable oil
- salt, pepper, onion powder
You will also need a pie pan.
I am all for a homemade crust, but I understand the need for a storebought crust too. Either way works great for this pot pie. Check out this homemade gluten-free pie crust recipe. It is my go-to pie crust for this recipe.
I have also used a box of storebought crust and had just as beautiful results.
How to Make Filling
This filling is so easy to make! Add oil and mixed vegetables to a large saute pan on medium heat. Add chicken broth, milk, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Allow the mix to simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mix cornstarch and warm water in a small bowl to create a slurry. This will help thicken the filling.
Pour the slurry into saute pan and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and allow liquid to come to a boil, then turn off the heat and stir in the shredded chicken. Allow the mixture to cool on the stove.
Now it is time for your crust. No matter if you chose a homemade or pre-made one, place your crust in your pie pan.
Pour the filling into your pie shell. I like to place my pie pan on a baking sheet just in case of any spillover.
Take the second piece of crust and carefully lay it on top. Pinch and seal the edges - trimming excess crust as needed. You can give your crust an egg wash and place a couple of slits on the top to allow the steam to escape while baking.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Allow your pie to sit and cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Serve and enjoy.
To make this gluten-free simply use a gluten-free pie crust and double-check your other ingredients to make sure there is no hidden gluten.
Store any uneaten Chicken Pot Pie in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- pie pan
- pie crust gluten free or regular; top and bottom 12 inch round
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 20 oz mixed vegetables frozen or drained canned
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 8 oz cooked chicken shredded
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + ¼ cup warm water
- Optional: 1 egg and water to brush on crust
- If making pie crust from scratch do that first. If using pre-made allow your pie crust to thaw.
- For the filling, add oil and mixed vegetables to a large saute pan on medium heat. Add chicken broth, milk, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch and warm water in a small bowl. Pour the slurry into saute pan and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and allow liquid to come to a boil, then turn off the heat and stir in the shredded chicken. Allow the mixture to cool on the stove while following next steps.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out your pie dough with a rolling pin into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to an ungreased pie pan and press into place - flattening the crust against the bottom and sides as well as touching up any cracks.
- Pour chicken and vegetable filling over pie crust and set aside while preparing the second pie crust, repeating the same process.
- Cover mixture with second pie crust. Pinch and seal the edges - trimming excess crust as needed.
- Optional: To give the crust a golden brown color, add an egg and a splash of water to a small bowl. Beat with a fork and brush over the top and edges of the crust.
- Use a knife to cut four slits in the center of the pie. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow pie to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.