I was the strange kid that went to Pizza Hut when I was little to cash in my Book It Rewards (Remember those?) and ordered a personal pan mushroom pizza. I LOVE Mushrooms. I still to this day order mushrooms on my pizza, and my kids all turn their noses up at me. ~giggle~
I am always on a constant mission of trying to find healthier things to eat, but that still fill my tummy. I hate eating something healthy only to find that 5 minutes later my stomach is growling like I never ate. I found these beautiful portobello caps at the store, and knew I had to give this a try. I was in awe at the results! These little bits of heaven are amazing! And they took just a couple minutes to throw together! Serve this with a salad and you have a great lunch. Or just make them up for an appetizer or snack! DELICIOUS!
- 6 mini Portobello mushrooms (or 2 large Portobello mushroom caps)
- ½ cup pasta sauce or a little less
- 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings (mini pepperoni, olives, onions, peppers, etc)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms and scoop out the insides and stem with a spoon.
- Place on baking pan, and Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil. Bake for about for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F
- Remove mushrooms from oven, and turn the broiler to High.
- Turn the mushrooms in to pizzas. Top them with sauce, cheese and pizza toppings.
- Return pan to oven and broil on High for 3 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Remove and serve immediately
I left mine under the broiler a little longer than I would have liked, but I was distracted by kids. They still tasted UNBELIEVABLE!