The Best Vegan Mac & Cheese recipe the old fashioned way. Tastes just as good as the original! Ooey Gooey and delicious!
During the holidays you will find a big casserole of creamy Mac & cheese on my table. Over the years dishes have evolved to include a vegan or gluten free version because of allergies and food preferences. This is truly the Best Vegan Mac & Cheese Recipe; old fashioned, oven baked, and just gooey deliciousness!
I have made this recipes many times. The thing that can make or break it is the right vegan cheese. DO NOT buy pre-shredded cheese!!! It contains something to keep it from clumping which means it won’t melt right and will create clumpy macaroni.
I have had huge success making this with the Daiya brand cheddar slices or block. In fact, I have tasted it and couldn’t tell a big difference between the vegan and regular.
This time I tried the Violife brand block, and wasn’t as big of a fan. So, I recommend testing a couple of the block vegan cheeses to find one you prefer.
Once you make your own Mac and cheese you will NEVER go back to the boxed stuff.
Step one is to boil your macaroni. You can use regular or gluten free. One 12- 16 oz box cooked al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a medium/large saucepan melt 1/4 cup of vegan butter and add 1/4 cup of flour (or gluten free flour).
Keep stirring until the vegan butter and flour come together and bubble creating a roux.
Now you are going to add 2 1/2 cups vegan milk substitute. I use canned coconut milk because of the high fat content and then add in just enough water to reach the 2 1/2 cups. You can NOT taste the coconut in the final product. I have found other milks are too watery to make this Mac & cheese creamy.
Heat the milk mixture until it begins to thicken. This is when I add seasonings as well; garlic salt, pepper, and paprika. The paprika helps give this vegan Mac & cheese a great color.
Once the milk mix starts to thicken it is time to stir in the cheese. Remember I said to buy blocks so shred your own or cut it up even into small pieces so it melts easier. Keep stirring until it is melted.
Have your macaroni in your casserole dish ready to roll and pour the cheese sauce over it. Give it a stir with a spoon to get the cheese into all the nooks and crannies.
You could technically stop here and enjoy, or top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees F or until bubbly and golden on top.
You can use gluten free macaroni for this recipe and gluten free flour to make it gluten free as well.
Store any uneaten Mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat and enjoy. This does not freeze well.
Best Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Boil macaroni noodles according to package and cook to al dente. Drain and place in 13×9 inch casserole dish. Set Aside.
- Take your plant based cheddar cheese and chop or shred it. Set aside.
- In medium to large sauce pan melt vegan butter, add in flour and cook until it comes together and is bubbly.
- Stir in coconut milk and continue to heat over medium heat stirring often.
- While the milk is heating add in spices ; paprika, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Once the milk mixture begins to thicken stir in the vegan cheese. Remove from heat and continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the cooked noodles. Stir to coat all the noodles.
- At this stage you can enjoy or top with some additional shredded cheese and place in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes unitl bubbly and golden around the edges.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can make this gluten free by using gluten free macaroni and gluten free flour.