Have bananas? Mix them up with some chocolate chips and walnuts to turn them into these tasty Gluten Free Chunky Monkey Muffins. This recipe is delicious!
My kids go bananas for bananas. Well, some of the time. The other half of the time I have a pile of bananas with brown spots on my counter. Anybody else? I have found all kinds of uses for over ripe bananas, but these Gluten Free Chunky Monkey Muffins are one of my new favorites!
What is a Chunky Monkey Muffin?
I am glad you asked. A Chunky Monkey Muffin is just a muffin with bananas, chocolate chips, and walnuts. Like any great muffin recipe you can switch out the nuts if you need to, but would it still be a chunky monkey?
Vegan Chunky Monkey Muffins
While this recipe calls for an egg, you can replace it with egg replacer or a flax egg to make these muffins vegan. I know some die-hard vegans are going to ask about the honey. You can replace that with maple syrup or another sweetener if you choose.
Also, use a dairy-free chocolate chip. Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips are my fav!
Can You Freeze These?
Yes, you can! Once the muffins are cool, store them in a freezer plastic zip bag. They can be frozen for up to 6 months. Just thaw them on the counter or in a toaster oven for a warm muffin anytime.
Are Oats Gluten Free?
Oats are gluten free but the growing and transportation process can contaminate them with other grains like wheat. For recipes like this, when gluten is a concern, use a Certified Gluten Free Oat. If being strictly gluten-free is not a concern for you then you can use any type of oat.
Gluten Free Chunky Monkey Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats divided
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 bananas overripe
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips plus additional for tops if desired
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped, plus additional for tops if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F and line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Pulse 2 cups of rolled oats in a food processor until it reaches flour consistency.
- In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients; oat flour, rolled oats, flaxseed, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl add 3 bananas and mash with a fork until smooth. Add peanut butter, egg, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to mix together the wet ingredients.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well to incorporate and create the batter.
- Chop the unused banana into small chunks and add it and the chocolate chips, and walnuts to the batter. Fold to mix in.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with batter. Add extra chocolate chips, walnuts, and banana to the top if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25- 28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving
- These store best in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or can be frozen.
- Use a dairy free chocolate chip.
- Replace egg with egg replacer or one flax egg.
More Banana Recipes