This post may contain affiliate links.
I needed a “Calgon take me away!” moment today! Last week was a week from lord knows where, but I totally could have done without it! It included a funeral, child with a sprained arm, child with a 105 fever, and me trying to balance it all with work. Apparently I am not so good at balancing because I slipped and fell yesterday and hurt my leg. YEP! The cherry on the Sundae.
So, I am starting this week anew! It is a clean slate, and it is going to be a FABULOUS week…even if I have to threaten someone. LOL My house is clean, laundry is done (until the next load magically appears), kids are feeling better, and I deserved a treat. This was a treat I was going to make Friday, but all of the above happened …and well….the biscotti didn’t take priority.
This afternoon I set aside some time and hit the kitchen. I had to search a couple stores last week but finally found what I needed to make these. Kraft Caramel Bits! I found them at Target and I bought several bags because I was beginning to think they quit making them. I love these because they make doing anything with wrapped caramels so much easier. They are perfect for cookies, baked goods, and even making caramel apples.
Make a batch of these bad boys for yourself, and one to giveaway for Christmas to someone you love! Make a gift basket with a new coffee mug, some k-cups, and these and you will be loved for giving the best gift ever!
- ½ C unsalted butter - room temperature
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 2 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ C all purpose flour
- ¾ C caramel bites
- 6-12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In mixer beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add baking powder, salt and beat until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Gradually add flour and beat in as much as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in caramel bites and divide dough into half.
- On a lightly floured surface and with lightly floured hands shape half of the dough into a log about 10 x 2 inches. Then do the same with the other half. Place dough about 3 inches apart onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. **DON'T CUT BISCOTTI WHILE HOT**
- Reduce oven temperature to 300º. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place slices upright on the cookie sheet about ½ inches apart and bake for 12- 15 minutes. Cool biscotti on wire racks.
- Place chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and melt them in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% strength. Stir and return to the microwave in 30 second 50% strength intervals until melted.
- Dip the cooled biscotti into the melted chocolate and set on a parchment lined pan to set. While chocolate is still wet sprinkle with sea salt.
- Allow chocolate to set and store in airtight container.
After you make the dough you are going to want to shape them into 2 logs like this for baking.
After the 2 logs bake you are going to want them to cool for about 20 minutes before you slice. Slice on the diagonal and place back on the baking pan for their second turn in the oven. My pan may be missing one ….I had to taste test. 🙂
After they are done in the oven it is time for their chocolate dip! YUM! Then a quick sprinkle with some sea salt.
What you end up with is nothing short of AMAZING!