Do you have leftover cranberry sauce or just an extra can? Make this simple Oatmeal Cranberry Bars Recipe. Such a tasty fall dessert!
Cranberry Sauce is one of my favorite things about Fall. I can eat homemade, or the kind out of a can. Seriously I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If you have some left over cranberry sauce or just an extra can these Oatmeal Cranberry Bars are the perfect way to use it up!
In your mixer stir together the oatmeal cookie crumble. This is a very simple recipe and it can even be made gluten free.
Press 2/3 of the oatmeal dough into the bottom of a parchment lined 8×8 0r 9×9 pan.
Now my favorite. Evenly spread a can of cranberry sauce over the oatmeal cookie bottom.
Now take the rest of the oatmeal cookie crumble and evenly crumble it over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 – 40 mins or until golden brown. The tricky part is you have to wait for these to COMPLETELY cool before cutting them or they will crumble. Worse case scenario….some of those crumbly bars end up in a bowl with some ice cream. Not all terrible. 😉
Oatmeal Cranberry Bars
Yield 9 -12
- 1½ cups of quick oats
- 1½ cups of flour or gluten free flour mix
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 - 14 oz (398 ml) can of cranberry sauce or 1⅔ cups of your own cranberry sauce/jelly
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together, then take the butter and cut it in, until it’s perfectly crumbly.
- Firmly press ⅔ of the mix into a greased or parchment lined 8x8 or 9×9 pan.
- Once the bottom layer is pressed down well, spread the cranberry sauce, or jelly, on top and then top with the remaining oat mix.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes until it’s a golden brown.
- Cool this completely and then slice into squares. It is crumbly if you slice too soon.
- Use gluten free oats and a gluten free flour mix
- Use a dairy free butter substitute or dairy free margarine.