Chocolate lovers this cake is perfection! Make this easy Chocolate Italian Love Cake Recipe and dig into chocolate heaven!
I love old cookbooks. I have a whole small bookshelf full of them. Some of my favorite recipes come from the ones where the pages are turning, and the bindings are falling apart. They are well loved! This Italian Love Cake recipe came from one of those well loved books. The page was dog-eared from when I found it before. I am so glad I found it because… it is oh so good!
I just made a chocolate cake in a 13×9 pan. I used my Homemade Chocolate Cake mix for the batter. Follow the directions on the package for the batter.
In a bowl whisk together the ricotta cheese, eggs, and sugar. I actually only used half of the ricotta the original recipe called for. It was plenty for me and my taste, but feel free to double it if you want.
Pour the ricotta mixture over the chocolate cake batter. Try to pour it as evenly as possible over the top. Then pop it in the over at 350 F for 50 minutes.
When your cake is finished it will pull away from the sides of the pan, and the ricotta mixture will actually sink down into the cake. Allow your cake to cool completely!
Once the cake is cool, you are going to mix 1 cup of milk with a small box of instant chocolate pudding mix in a medium bowl. This will be THICK pudding. Fold in 1 8 oz tub of cool whip or homemade whipped cream. Then spread that pudding mixture over the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This Chocolate Italian Love Cake is moist, chocolatey, and light. It is the perfect after dinner dessert.
Chocolate Italian Love Cake RecipePrint Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together your cake mix according to the directions on the box. Pour batter into the 13x9 pan and spread evenly.
- In another bowl, beat together the ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Carefully pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter. Spread to cover the cake batter as best as you can.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.Frosting
- Stir the pudding mix and milk together with a whisk until combined. It will be thick. Carefully, fold the Cool Whip into the pudding until combined.
- Spread the pudding mixture over the top of the cooled cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.