Need a cake mix but don’t want to run to the store? Check out this simple Homemade Cake Mix Recipe for yellow or chocolate cake. Plus FREE Printable Labels. There are bonus gluten-free instructions too!
I am that mom who has the best ideas and plans. Then they all fall through when I walk to my pantry to see that I am out of one or two of the ingredients that I need to pull off a masterpiece. I don’t know if you have ever put 3 kids in the car, buckled them in their car seats, and drove to the store for 1 item, but that is not my idea of fun. That is where this Homemade Cake Mix really comes in handy!
One of those items that I used to always run out of was cake mix. Since we are trying to eliminate pre-packaged items anyway these homemade cake mixes are wonderful. Not only are they easy to make with pantry staples, they are great to give as gifts with the recipe. Make a gift basket with a couple DIY Cake Mixes, a new cake pan, dish towels, sprinkles, and a wooden spoon, and you have a great gift!
I also how easy it is to make this gluten free or dairy free! Those Gluten Free Cake Mixes can be so expensive, and half of them don’t taste that good. Follow the instructions to make this into a gluten-free cake mix and you won’t be disappointed.
Homemade Cake Mix Labels
You can go now and print these FREE Labels. There are 2 to a sheet. That way you can label your homemade cake mixes with directions!
Don’t forget about this Homemade Pancake Mix too! I love stocking my pantry with chemical free items!
Homemade Chocolate & Yellow Cake Mixes
- 2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa Powder (for chocolate only)
- Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container or baggie. Keeps well in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Above recipe makes one cake mix equivalent to a 18.5 oz boxed mix.TO MAKE CAKE
- Mix cake mix with 3/4 cup milk or milk substitute, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, and 3 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes and Bake at 350 F.
- To bake a 8-9 inch round pan 20-25 mins
- To Bake 13x9 pan 35-40 mins
- To bake cupcakes- 12-15 mins
- To bake Tube or Bundt Pan 45-50 mins
- Here is a Printable Direction sheet to attach to your mixes
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.