Need a cake mix but don’t want to run to the store? Check out this simple Homemade Cake Mix Recipe for yellow or chocolate cake. Plus FREE Printable Labels. There are bonus gluten-free instructions too!
I am that mom who has the best ideas and plans. Then they all fall through when I walk to my pantry to see that I am out of one or two of the ingredients that I need to pull off a masterpiece. I don’t know if you have ever put three kids in the car, buckled them in their car seats, and drove to the store for 1 item, but that is not my idea of fun. That is where this Homemade Cake Mix comes in handy!
These Cake Mixes are easy to make, and they are also great to give as gifts with the recipe. Make a gift basket with a couple of DIY Cake Mixes, a new cake pan, dish towels, sprinkles, and a wooden spoon, and you have a great gift for anyone!
Gluten Free & Dairy Free
I also how easy it is to make this gluten-free or dairy-free! Those Gluten Free Cake Mixes can be so expensive, and half of them don’t taste that good. Follow the instructions to make this into a gluten-free cake mix, and you won’t be disappointed.
There are straight forward substitutions.
- gluten free: You are going to use your favorite gluten free flour. Also, you will want to add 1 tsp of xanthan gum.
- dairy free: Substitute your favorite dairy free milk. I like using coconut milk.
How to Make Homemade Cake Mix
It truly doesn’t get much easier! Just measure and mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, or even directly in a zip top bag. Label so you know the contents. There are free printable labels below with the instructions on how to turn your cake mix into a cake.
Click the button below to download the Homemade Cake mix Printable label
Don’t forget about this Homemade Pancake Mix too! I love stocking my pantry with chemical-free items!
Homemade Chocolate & Yellow Cake Mixes
- 2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa Powder for chocolate only
To Mix Cake Batter
- ¾ cup Milk or milk substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container or baggie. Keeps well in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Above recipe makes one cake mix equivalent to a 18.5 oz boxed mix.
To Make Cake
- Mix cake mix with 3/4 cup milk or milk substitute, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, and 3 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes and Bake at 350 F.
- To bake a 8-9 inch round pan 20-25 mins
- To Bake 13×9 pan 35-40 mins
- To bake cupcakes- 12-15 mins
- To bake Tube or Bundt Pan 45-50 mins
Gluten FreeSubstitute the 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour mix for the all purpose flour.
Dairy FreeUse almond milk or other milk substitute and dairy free margarine or vegetable oil.
Chocolate CakeFor an even richer chocolate cake you can add in a box of chocolate pudding mix and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips if desired
Updated in March 2020.